Wednesday 17 December 2014

Things to do when you are PREGNANT

A few of my friends have recently started falling into the league (Read: 'They are Pregnant') so they made me feel that my blog was more on Parenting and did not have anything much for the first stage of having a child i.e. Pregnancy!!!

A colleague of mine having two kids gave me an advise (Advises during Pregnancy) "Enjoy your first Pregnancy to utmost as this is your time; get pampered with all the attention coz even if you plan for a second one you will have a child to take care of"

So here it is for you girls......Have Fun!!!


1.  Shhhhhhhh......................: Do not tell the world about the good news till you pass your first trimester: This belief is followed since age's and I tagged along for this one too.

2. Find a Gynecologist & Maternity Hospital for yourself: The most important thing is to be in secure hands, whom you are confident upon and to have a nice trust-worthy hospital with all latest amenities & back up to handle any kind of complications.

3. Baby Announcement for Friends and Family: Nevan was born in beginning of winters, so I made this e-card to send to my friends and family to pass the news of baby's arrival.


4. Start Reading: Reading helps me a lot and all throughout my pregnancy I had answers to the queries before I could get hassled. I used to laugh when my Gynae or others used to call me " Ms. Googlu" but if you know what you are reading and the right source, its all worth it.

5. Make an account on the Baby Centre Website: I haven't got any royalty from Baby Centre to say so, but it was my Bible all throughout my pregnancy & even now for that matter. It is a one stop solution for all the possible queries you may have regarding pregancy, birth, festivals, illness, medication, etc etc etc. Refer www.babycentre.co.uk as the first thing...

6. Download Mobile Phone Applications - Baby Centre & What to Expect: Whether you are using an Android phone or a Iphone these applications will help you on a day to day basis. Personally everytime I used to go through my BabyCentre App to resolve a query, I had answers before I could figure out what my exact question is.

7. Start taking Pictures: I will have a lifetime regret that I did not take a lot of pictures during my pregnancy. But I would suggest just log on to Pinterest and you will get some awesome Pregnancy pics ideas and there you go.....it will make your Pregnancy Fun & Memorable.You can also invest into Professional Photo Shoots which are very common & widely available these days.

8. Start recording/penning down your thoughts 'Pregnancy Journal' It is the cutest memory book you will cherish all throughout your life. Right from noting down your daily feelings, to the ultrasound visits, baby kicks, bump, etc all would be captured lifelong in your journal.

9. Enjoy the Special Attention: I was a lil conscious about the bump initially but when I started observing it's benefits I loved to flaunt it!!! From mall parking preference, to people giving you place to sit at parties, office meetings & conferences, friends & colleagues offering to carry your laptop, shopping bags, etc, everyone asking about how you are feeling, making you eat like a queen, all your cravings are fulfilled in a giffy, friends changing catch up points to non smokey, fine dine restaurants for your comfort......sometimes I wish I always stayed Preggy coz as soon as Nevan was born within a day he took it all from me.

10. Go Shopping for Maternity Wear: The Baby Bump message tee-shirts were my favorite apart from all the flowy-maxi dresses being the most comfortable ones. I also did beg & borrow a few clothes from my bigger sized friends & family which came in very handy, as your size keeps on increasing all throughout so you need different sizes to wear. But I would definitely agree to the fact that the Maternity Wear market is under grown in our country.

11. Take your Pre-natal Vitamins: The Folics, Calciums, Iron, Multi-vitamins.....well not the best things to have due to their taste & hormonal changes within us during our preggy days make it worse but do remember to have them regularly as they are important for the child's development along with your wellness.

12. Keep yourself Moisturized to try & avoid Stretch Marks: The basic concept to keep your stomach/hips/thighs, etc moisturized.......So usually around the time you enter your second trimester you should start applying whatever your gynae suggests to avoid stretch marks. Cocoa Butter Cremes, pre natal Streth marks cremes, etc are said to be the best. But also a word of caution - there are millions of cases when you do anything and everything on this earth to avoid stretch marks but they still come & give you the pride of being a mother life long. :)
(P.S: The stretch marks occurrence differs from skin type or genes too along with other factors)

13.  Play the Guess Games on determining the Sex of the Baby: These were really fun games, again being Ms. Googlu helped me look for such fun games; so explore the internet and you will have loads of these superstition based games for you.
(Value whatever God gives you and remember there are many who are not as fortunate as you are!!!)

14.  Baby Nursery: We copied the west so well in these things that you will find the cutest things possible to explore your Baby Nursery decor....I am still drooling over the options available right from theme based nursery's to wall decor to special lights for baby's room to even basins & shower areas with animal or disney themes.....you can easily find vendors to help you assist with doing it up.

15. Go Shopping for Baby Products: I have heard some families having the superstitions of not purchasing anything for the child during pregnancy. To be frank I was also given one such piece but I couldn't stop myself beyond the first trimester plus I did not want to loose the chance to shop for the most cuddly-puddly things.....awwwww I went crazy looking at the size of baby vest, caps, mittens, body suits; the size itself was so adorable, it's like buying for a big sized doll....So shop your heart out!!!!

16. Baby Shower: This is the best thing that happened to me during my pregnancy. I had mine towards the end of my seventh month.....and it was the second time in my life I felt so special - First was when I was the Bride & the second is now when I was 'Mom to Be'.....We had fun food, themes, games, etc etc etc....So do have your's planned!!!
Me & Hubby on my Baby Shower




As a tradition: My mom whispering spl message for well being of  lil one in my ear
17. Prepare a Support System for your delivery and after: The requirement of a support system will  start popping in towards the last trimester of your pregnancy with the tiredness & the heaviness setting in. So have a back-up for yourself & for your home & possibly a support for the initial days with the baby. These days all hospitals allow a partner during delivery; so inquire about the same where you are delivering and prepare your 'Doula' in time!


18. Hospital Bag: There is soon gonna come as a separate post with a detailed list of what should your hospital bag contain both for the mother and the new born.

19. Make the Dad-To-Be feel Special: While you are feeling elated and special & the lil one is growing good within you the only one who seems left out trying to adjust with a new you (as you will have enough everyday mood swings & food demands & aches, pains, etc etc) is 'The Husband'....He knows his life too is gonna have a change, your relationship is gonna change (for the good, I assure you that!!!) & his responsibilities are on their way up so make him feel special before you reach your D Day.....Send him for a boys trip with his friends, for a spa, for a weekend away from the home & wife worries and let him chill and prepare himself for what's ahead....

20. Have Sex: Again an advise which I got from my gynae; she told me if your gynae is showing you a green flag to get intimate so don't think twice before enjoying it as this is the time when you do not have to worry about getting pregnant.....so have fun!!!!

I am sure you all will have a lot to add to this list.....so the house is open let your comments pour in :)

2 comments:

  1. Very Informative post Nevan's awesome mommy !! Specially found the comment hilarious where you go on to say ".....sometimes I wish I always stayed Preggy coz as soon as Nevan was born within a day he took it all from me" lol .. Look forward to more of these posts !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much to the new 'mom-to-be' on board.....You found it hilarious but man....it happens!!! Some more coming soon for you & your other companion preggy's....thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete